The original design and building was by Henry Vaughn, a pupil of the English church builder George Frederick Bodley, and represents one of the earliest church buildings in America in the Gothic style. The Chapel was consecrated on June 5, 1888, by Bishop Niles of New Hampshire. The tower, from Vaughn’s original design, was added in 1894 as a memorial to Mary Bowman Coit, wife of the first Rector, the Reverend Dr. Henry Augustus Coit. In 1898 the recumbent funeral effigy of Dr. Coit was added to the sanctuary. In 1928, the noted architect Ralph Adams Cram was charged with enlarging the Chapel to accommodate a growing school, and the building was cut in two, the altar sanctuary moved eastward, and two bays of windows added in the choir section. This same period saw the construction, also under the direction of Cram, of the north porch behind the pulpit, the chantry, and the War Memorial, which is focused around an important sculptural work by Daniel Chester French. The organ, originally built in 1930 as a memorial to James Carter Knox, organist and choirmaster from 1868 to 1928, was enlarged in 1953 by the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston, adding an antiphonal organ and moving the console from the choir loft to the choir section of the chancel floor. In 1988, the Form of 1938 gave for its Fiftieth Anniversary Gift a new stained glass window to commemorate the centenary of the Chapel’s consecration. Designed and built by the renowned Hans-Gottfried von Stockhausen, the two main images of this window depict the conversion of St. Paul and the parable of the sower and the seed. In 2002 the infrastructure of the building underwent a significant restoration and refurbishment to preserve it for future generations. The Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul, with its current capacity of approximately 780, continues to serve as the spiritual center of the School and is the site of Academic Convocation at the beginning of each term, School Chapel four mornings a week, Evensong and Last Night Service each term, a Festival of Lessons & Carols and the Pageant in the Advent/Christmas season, and the 校友 Memorial Service and Baccalaureate Service on 周年/Graduation Weekend. 圣教堂。彼得和365体育APP also plays host to numerous interfaith services and events, other occasional services, musical and dramatic performances, and various School meetings. It is open to all persons each day for prayer, meditation, reflection, and enjoyment.
Opus 825 was revised several times in the 1930s and ‘40s, first with the relocation of the console from the original gallery to the chancel floor, and later with revisions to the Swell reed chorus. In 1953, during Channing Lefebvre’s tenure as organist and choirmaster, Aeolian-Skinner undertook a comprehensive rebuild. Pressures in the Great and Swell were lowered; all but two stops in the Great were provided new; the Swell retained the softer 1930 material, but with new principal and reed choruses; the Choir was somewhat revised; and the Pedal was thinned out with greater independence. The Diapason, Octave and Tromba of the Antiphonal were replaced with a Gedackt, Octave and Mixture. The most dramatic visual and musical change was the introduction of a Positiv on the Gospelside canopy just inside the chancel arch. A new, low-profile four-manual console was provided. Aeolian-Skinner thought enough of the installation to feature it in advertisements and on one page of a promotional brochure, showing the Positiv beneath the fine Clayton & Bell window.